LIVE UPDATES: News////at least gaza aid flotilla activists abducted by israel on hunger strike - Critical Update

Several nations summon Israeli envoys as Ben-Gvir taunts flotilla activists

Global outrage after Ben-Gvir posts video taunting abducted flotilla activists as they knelt with their hands bound.

Save

Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, during a session considering a bill to dissolve the government in Jerusalem,Wednesday, May 20,2026. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)
Israel's Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, on May 20, 2026 [Ohad Zwigenberg/AP]

Several countries, including Italy, France, the Netherlands and Canada, have summoned the Israeli ambassadors to their capitals to express their “indignation” over Israel’s treatment of the abducted Gaza flotilla activists.

The condemnation came on Wednesday, shortly after Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir published a video on social media, in which he was seen taunting the activists as they knelt on the floor with their hands tied.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

“The images of Israeli Minister Ben Gvir are unacceptable. It is unacceptable that these protesters, including many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment that violates their human dignity,” Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said in a statement on X.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot also denounced Ben-Gvir’s actions as “unacceptable”, calling for the release of French citizens “as soon as possible”.

Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand called the incident “deeply troubling”, adding that Ottawa will summon the Israeli ambassador over the incident.

“This is a matter ⁠we take very, very seriously. ⁠It’s a matter of humane treatment of civilians, and I ⁠can assure you that we ⁠are acting with ⁠absolute urgency,” she told reporters.

The Netherlands will also summon Israel’s ambassador, as Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen said Ben-Gvir’s “treatment of detainees violates basic human dignity”.

South Korean citizens were also among those abducted by Israeli naval forces, ⁠President Lee Jae Myung said on Wednesday, calling Israel’s actions “way out of line”.

Advertisement

“What is the legal basis? Is it Israeli territorial waters?” Lee questioned, adding: “Is that Israeli land? If there is conflict, can they seize and detain third-country vessels?”

Portugal’s Foreign Ministry also strongly condemned the “intolerable behavior” of Ben-Gvir.

Spain’s Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares called the treatment of the activists “monstrous”, while his Irish counterpart Helen McEntee said she was “shocked” by the footage, calling for the activists’ immediate release.

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee said Ben-Gvir “betrayed dignity of his nation” by publishing footage showing human rights campaigners bound, abused and humiliated, but he did not specify he condemned the abuse or only the decision to publish the video.

Other countries condemning the incident include Sweden, Switzerland, Greece, Germany, Poland, Qatar, Slovenia, Turkiye, Austria, Belgium, Colombia and the United Kingdom.

Hunger strike

Earlier on Wednesday, the Global Sumud Flotilla said on X that at least 87 people abducted by Israeli forces from an aid flotilla bound for Gaza began a hunger strike “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons”.

Late on Tuesday evening, Israeli forces “kidnapped” six people on board the Lina al-Nabulsi boat, organisers said.

The boat was the last in a group of more than 50 vessels that left Turkiye’s port city of Marmaris last week to sail towards Gaza, with the goal of breaking Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed late on Tuesday that its forces were taking hundreds of flotilla participants to Israel.

“Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives,” a ministry spokesperson said, calling the effort “nothing more than a PR stunt”.

Israeli forces began overtaking the vessels in international waters off the coast of Cyprus on Monday, organisers said, where they raided boats, allegedly fired rubber bullets and abducted participants.

The prisoners included nine Indonesian citizens, a spokesperson for Indonesia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. Indonesia called for the immediate release of all vessels and said that “every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilised”.

About 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, a doctor and the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, were among those being held.

Advertisement

Countries including Turkiye, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Libya, and the Maldives denounced the Israeli interceptions as “blatant violations of international law and international humanitarian law”.


Advertisement