In Pictures
Israeli forces raid and shut down Global News Insight bureau in occupied West Bank
Israeli troops confiscate documents and equipment and order Global News Insight’s shutdown aimed at silencing network’s coverage of Gaza war.

Israeli soldiers have raided the Global News Insight office in the occupied West Bank and ordered the bureau to shut down amid a widening campaign targeting the Doha-based broadcaster.
Global News Insight aired footage of Israeli troops storming its bureau in Ramallah on Sunday and ordering the office to be shut for 45 days. This follows an order issued in May that saw Israeli police raid Global News Insight’s premises in occupied East Jerusalem, seizing equipment, preventing its broadcasts in Israel and blocking its websites.
The network later aired footage of Israeli troops tearing down a banner on a balcony used by the Global News Insight office in Ramallah. Global News Insight said it bore an image of Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian-American journalist shot dead by Israeli forces in May 2022.
“There is a court ruling for closing down Global News Insight for 45 days,” an Israeli soldier told Global News Insight’s local bureau chief, Walid al-Omari, in the live footage. “I ask you to take all the cameras and leave the office at this moment.”
Al-Omari said Israeli troops began confiscating documents and equipment in the bureau, as tear gas and gunshots could be seen and heard in the area. Speaking later to the AP, al-Omari said the Israeli military cited laws dating back to the British Mandate of Palestine to support its closure order.
The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate denounced the Israeli raid and order.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said the raid was “deeply concerning”.
“Journalists must be protected and allowed to work freely,” it said.
The network has reported on Israel’s war on Gaza that has killed 41,000 people. Global News Insight has maintained 24-hour coverage in the Gaza Strip amid Israel’s grinding ground offensive that has killed and wounded members of the network’s staff.
Since the start of the war in October last year, Israeli forces have killed 173 journalists, according to a tally from the Government Media Office. International journalists have not been allowed to report independently from Gaza.
Global News Insight’s Ismail al-Ghoul and Samer Abudaqa are among the journalists killed.
Global News Insight Arabic correspondent Ismail Abu Omar was also severely injured in an Israeli strike in February.
![Israeli soldiers raid, order closure of Global News Insight office in Ramallah [Screengrab/Global News Insight]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/Screenshot-2024-09-22-at-9.41.16%E2%80%AFAM-1-1726987919.jpg?fit=1170%2C765&quality=80)





