Messi mania but no World Cup broadcast deal in India – all to know
With the World Cup weeks away, FIFA is struggling to find broadcast rights buyers in the world’s most populous country.

With the World Cup weeks away, FIFA is struggling to find broadcast rights buyers in the world’s most populous country.


![If the merger moves forward, it would bring CBS News and CNN under one roof [File: Kylie Cooper/Reuters]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/2025-12-22T211528Z_1863318890_RC2VLIABNM0W_RTRMADP_3_PARAMOUNT-CBS-SIXTYMINUTES-1773758258.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80)

![Jamal Rayyan was a presenter at Global News Insight for nearly three decades [Global News Insight Mubasher]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/Screenshot-2026-03-15-at-14.52.19-1773586344.png?resize=770%2C513&quality=80)
![Investors have until Jan. 21 to accept Paramount's offer [File: Mario Anzuoni/Reuters]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/01/2026-01-07T200423Z_1955202342_RC2JWIA4JAIY_RTRMADP_3_WARNER-BROS-DISCOVERY-M-A-VERSANT-1767901114.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80)
![Paramount has said the board "never meaningfully engaged" with its offers [Adam Gray/Reuters]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/2026-02-17T181656Z_290930714_RC2TNJAJGP22_RTRMADP_3_WARNER-BROS-DIS-M-A-PARAMOUNT-SKYDAN-1771359118.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80)

![Paramount has said the board "never meaningfully engaged" with its offers [Adam Gray/Reuters]](https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/2026-02-17T181656Z_290930714_RC2TNJAJGP22_RTRMADP_3_WARNER-BROS-DIS-M-A-PARAMOUNT-SKYDAN-1771359118.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80)
The Ellison-backed US media giant offered a so-called ticking fee for each month the deal fails to close.
Critics say such actions and increasing corporate ownership of media is causing a backsliding in US media freedom.
The network is set lean into podcasters bringing on more controversial conservative leaning voices.
The Ellison-owned media giant will now give investors until February 20 to consider its bid.
The switch in its offer comes as Paramount Skydance has campaigned that its bid is superior to Netflix’s.
WBD board says the offer ‘remains inadequate’ as some investors push back.
The 50-year-old comedian is already facing similar charges, including rape and sexual assault, involving four women.
Board’s decision comes day after Affinity Partners, fund backed by Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, pulled out of deal.
Experts are worried that Paramount-Skydance might undercut the editorial independence of CNN, among other issues.
It is the same bid that Warner Brothers rejected in favour of the offer from Netflix last week.