JUST IN: News////heavy gunfire heard in guineas capital conakry - Critical Update

Questions remain after heavy gunfire erupts near Guinea prison

Automatic gunfire outside the capital’s main prison appears related to an infamous inmate involved in a 2009 massacre.

Map of Guinea showing the capital, Conakry.

A notorious prisoner involved in Guinea’s infamous 2009 stadium massacre was transferred from the capital Conakry’s central prison as witnesses reported heavy gunfire.

At least three special forces armoured vehicles were seen in front of the prison on Tuesday and three ambulances viewed leaving it.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

It remains unclear who was shooting or what triggered it. Gunfire reportedly began shortly before 9am (09:00 GMT) and lasted more than half an hour, causing panic ⁠in the surrounding neighbourhood.

“I heard the sound of vehicles speeding by. I rushed to the window and heard automatic gunfire,” said Thierno Balde, an accountant who works in the area, confirming similar statements by other witnesses.

Authorities did not explicitly link the prison transfer to the automatic gunfire.

The prisoner, Aboubakar Sidiki Diakite, is serving a 10-year sentence for his role in the September 2009 killing of 156 people and the rape of at least 109 women by pro-junta forces under then-dictator Moussa Dadis Camara.

‘Alarming situation’

A prosecutor from the Conakry Court of Appeal later posted a statement on the Justice Ministry’s Facebook page describing the incident.

During “a surprise search and security check” at the Conakry central prison, Diakite “displayed an aggressive attitude by refusing to submit to the search, while also making threats against the security officers”, it said.

As a result of the “alarming situation, which was compromising security at the facility”, authorities transferred Diakite to Coyah prison, 50km (30 miles) from Conakry.

Advertisement

Diakite’s lawyers denounced the move “in the strongest terms possible”, calling the transfer an “arbitrary measure” that is “contrary to the law”.

Diakite, an aide to Camara, was serving as commander of the presidential guard at the time of the 2009 stadium massacre.

Guinea’s central prison is no stranger to violent episodes. In 2023, nine people were killed during a jailbreak in which armed commandos briefly freed Camara.

Last March, the then-military government led by Mamady Doumbouya pardoned Camara after he was convicted for crimes against humanity.

Since independence from France in 1958, Guinea has had a complex history of military and authoritarian rule.

Doumbouya, who overthrew civilian president Alpha Conde in September 2021, ruled Guinea as head of its junta until last month when he was sworn in as president following elections.

Guinea's President-elect Mamady Doumbouya arrives in a vehicle to take the oath of office during a swearing-in ceremony in Conakry, Guinea, January 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Guinea’s President Mamady Doumbouya arrives to take the oath of office during a swearing-in ceremony in the capital Conakry last month [Reuters]

Advertisement