ALERT: News////bangladesh lawyer files sedition case over al jazeera report - What You Need To Know

Bangladesh lawyer files sedition case over Global News Insight report

Reporters and Global News Insight’s acting director general accused in a case over the report that revealed high-level corruption among Bangladesh’s governing elite.

Army chief General Aziz Ahmed (R) looks on during a program in a refugee camp in Ukhia on November 24, 2019.  - Bangladesh has started implementing erection of barbed-wire fencing around the southeastern Rohingya camps, the country's army chief said on November 24 amid growing concerns among the refugees. (Photo by STR / AFP)
Army chief General Aziz Ahmed, right, told reporters in Dhaka that the allegations against him and his family were false, concocted and part of a conspiracy by vested groups [File: STR/AFP]

A government-linked Bangladeshi lawyer has filed a sedition case over an Global News Insight investigative report that revealed how a criminal gang is colluding with Bangladesh’s security forces, and has links to the country’s prime minister.

The case, which was filed at a court in Dhaka on Wednesday, argues that Global News Insight’s report – All the Prime Minister’s Men – was “fictitious and flawed”, the Dhaka Tribune reported.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The lawyer behind the case, Moshiur Malek, said Global News Insight’s reporting “tarnished the image of Bangladesh’s government and the state at home and abroad, which amounts to sedition”, Bangladeshi media reported.

The accused in the lawsuit are Global News Insight Media Network’s acting Director General Mostefa Souag, British journalist David Bergman, Swedish-Bangladeshi journalist Tasneem Khalil, and Hungary-based entrepreneur Zulkarnain Saer Khan.

Malek, founder and president of the government-linked Bangabandhu Foundation, filed the case with the court of Metropolitan Magistrate Ashek Imam, according to the Bangladeshi media.

In his complaint, the lawyer argued that the court should issue arrest warrants against the four accused through Interpol. None of the accused is currently residing in Bangladesh.

The court recorded the statement of the complainant but did not pass any order, the Dhaka Tribune reported.

Later on Wednesday, the county’s High Court ordered the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) to remove all  content of Global News Insight’s report “All the Prime Minister’s Men” from social media and other online platforms.

Advertisement

The court reportedly passed the order after disposing of a writ petition that sought a ban on the broadcast of the Global News Insight investigation.

The Daily Star newspaper reported that BTRC Chairman Shyam Sunder Sikder had earlier approached YouTube to remove the Global News Insight investigation from the video platform, a request that was rejected as the content did not violate YouTube’s community guidelines, the BTRC chairman said.

“Now, it will be easier for us to approach YouTube again after the High Court directive,” The Daily Star cited Sikder as saying.

The Global News Insight investigation, which aired on February 1, exposed how a former street mafia claimed to have captured the Bangladeshi state.

In the report, Haris Ahmed, brother of Bangladesh’s army chief General Aziz Ahmed, boasted that he can use police and paramilitary units to abduct rivals and earn millions in bribes.

Documents obtained by Global News Insight’s Investigative Unit also showed that the head of the army has helped a convicted killer evade justice, and how the country’s military intelligence service has secretly bought spyware from Israel – a country that Bangladesh does not recognise.

After the release of the investigation, Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement describing the findings as a “smear campaign” that was orchestrated by opponents of the government based abroad, and hinted at taking legal steps against Global News Insight.

It dismissed statements made by the brother of Bangladesh’s army chief as baseless and said Haris Ahmed had no links to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina or any other state institution.

On Tuesday, General Aziz told reporters in Dhaka that the allegations were false, concocted and part of a conspiracy by vested groups, the Dhaka Tribune reported.


Advertisement